Tuesday 21 April 2015

Under The Devils Eye


As my grandad was there in 1916, Salonika became very important to me, but like many of the 'sideshows', info on this campaign is a bit sparse. Thanks though (YET again) toChris Baker and 1914-1918.net, I was able to get an understanding of this much overlooked Macedonian theatre. Alan Palmer's 'Gardeners of Salonika' (1965) (his dad was there too), whilst it has one of the coolest titles, was a bit of a slog. I so wanted it to be the definitive book on Salonika, and it was, until 'Under The Devil's Eye' by Alan Wakefield w/Simon Moody, which to me is the dogs bollocks on the subject.Recently I've posted links to other books written at the time, and whilst fascinating, they are not for the beginner....most of them make Palmer's book seem an easy read. Alan Wakefield brings the gardeners to life,and he knows his sh-stuff....he also does tours of the area, and if ever anyone can trace my grandads steps, it would be him. But thats next year. Until then we have 'Under The Devil's Eye', which is, for me, the definitive work on Salonika. The unit war diaries of my grandad, who was part of the 27th Division, 81st Brigade, 1st Royal Scots. They were part of the British Salonika Force, which included Irish and Canadian regiments, whom my grandad fought alongside. I know this from the 1 R/S war diaries, which tells me this. Alan Wakefields book fleshes out the story, in a thoroughly readable way. General Erich von Falkenhayn, referred to Salonika once as his largest Entente prison camp. I dunno....I'm kind of glad my grandad was there....though 'Under The Devil's Eye, shows that it was no picnic...like all areas of ww1, it sucked.
By: Geoff Harrison
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205563271750035&set=pb.1499770540.-2207520000.1429605038.&type=3&theater


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your comment: